Nurse Fellows are vital members of the healthcare team at University of Louisville Hospital. Participants assist the team as unlicensed “externs” (as defined by the Kentucky Board of Nursing — AOS #18).
Nurse Fellows have an opportunity to develop and strengthen the clinical skills learned in their nursing undergraduate programs. They are eligible to enter the program upon completing the junior year of their BSN degree program.
Nurse Fellows gain valuable experience at a respected academic medical center while simultaneously exploring the diverse clinical specialties and exceptional patient- and family-centered care offered at University Hospital. In collaboration with nursing staff, our Nurse Fellows gain valuable clinical experience during the one-year program, developing strong organizational skills while caring for patients.
Nurse Fellow participants begin the program the summer following junior year of a BSN degree program. Hospital orientation and nursing orientation classes are held in May; unit-based clinical orientation starts the week following nursing orientation.
Nurse Fellows work 24–32 hours per week during summer. Upon returning in the fall semester for their senior year of nursing school, Nurse Fellows enjoy a flexible schedule to accommodate their study needs. Work schedules are on an as-needed basis, as defined by two shifts per month, with one shift being on a weekend. This flexible schedule continues for the remainder of the school year.
The Nurse Fellowship is completed when the participant completes her or his BSN degree. The Registered Nurse Applicant is then eligible to apply for a new graduate nurse position, as available, in the clinical area of choice.
Entrance and Eligibility Requirements
- Currently enrolled in an accredited BSN degree program and completed the junior year
- Current GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale
- Completed at least one acute care hospital clinical rotation prior to beginning the Fellowship
- Satisfactory interviews with representatives of the University Hospital nursing staff
- Current BLS CPR certification from the American Heart Association
- New graduates are ineligible to apply
- Anyone who has a contractual obligation to work for another institution upon graduating from nursing school is ineligible to apply
- Failure to disclose a prior commitment to another organization upon hire may result in termination from the program
PLEASE NOTE: The application period for 2013 is now open. Please visit us again in January 2, – March 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM. We look forward to hearing from you.
Apply Online: Click here to apply online.
Submit: After applying online, all applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be contacted by the Nurse Recruiter and asked to submit the following documents:
- Official school transcripts
- Letter of reference from a clinical instructor
- Current Basic Life Support certification from the American Heart Association
- A 200-word essay on “Why I Want To Be a Nurse Fellow at University of Louisville Hospital”
Upon admission to the program and for continued active participation Nurse Fellows must attend:
- All hospital and nursing orientation classes
- Nurse Fellow program orientation classes
- At least two of a maximum three Nurse Fellow continuing education classes
All University Hospital attendance policies apply to Nurse Fellows in addition to the previously noted requirements. Failure to complete any portion of these requirements will result in dismissal from the program.